One West Water St., Suite 203, Wakefield, Massachusetts 01880
Low-Cost Initial Consultations Available 781-202-9932 Low-Cost Initial Consultations Available 781-202-9932

How to Apply for H1B Visas

So you would like to have a chance to work and live in the United States. Did you know that you can get this opportunity through an H1B visa? Here are some useful pointers about how to obtain this visa.

What is an H1B Visa?

This is a special visa granted to foreign job applicants to enable them to fulfil professional or specialty occupations in the United States. The visa, which is filed by the US employer, allows foreign professionals to enter the US and render employment within their profession on a temporary basis. Eligible professionals include teachers, engineers, researchers, designers, computer technicians, nurses, and others.

What are the Benefits of an H1B Visa?

The H1B visa allows a foreign professional to enter the US and work in a professional capacity with a commensurate salary.

The visa has a limited term of six years, and is renewable for three years at a time. The validity period may be extended, in certain limited circumstances.

And while you are working in the US, your spouse and dependent children under 21 years of age are also allowed to enter the country and stay with you for the duration of the visa. They are entitled to attend school using their H4 visa status. However, they are not allowed to seek employment during their stay in the US.

You may also transfer jobs if the new employer is willing to petition on your behalf, and only if the new working period is within your visa’s duration. Your new employer will have to reapply for your visa and the new application must be adjudicated by the Immigration Service.

What are the Requirements of an H1B Visa?

There must be an employer based in the USA who is petitioning on your behalf. The position must be a speciality occupation, meaning, that at a minimum a bachelor’s level education (or a U.S. equivalent) is a necessary requirement to perform the duties.

You must qualify academically and professionally for the position you are being petitioned for. If you are a foreign degree holder, you must have your credentials evaluated in order to prove and demonstrate you have attained the equivalent of U.S. Bachelor’s, Master’s and/or Ph.D degree(s). A foreign credential evaluation service will be able to assist with this step.


Contact Form

We will respond to your inquiry in a timely fashion. Thank you.

Quick Contact Form