North Shore Massachusetts

Immigration Law Firm

Low-Cost Initial Consultations Available


We Are Your

Immigration Law Firm

Frequently Asked Questions

Answers from Our Wakefield Immigration Attorney

At DiSisto Law, P.C., we know that immigration issues can be complex, which is why we work with our clients to help guide them through their matter. From dealing with deportation to navigating the ever-changing laws and policies, we are dedicated to maintaining an in-depth knowledge of the laws and applying this know-how to every one of our cases.

Read some answers to our frequently asked questions below or call DiSisto Law, P.C. at 781.819.0700 to discuss you case. Schedule a personalized low-cost initial consultation today.

How can I extend my stay in the United States?

If you are in the country based on certain types of visas or immigration waivers, you may be able to petition United States Citizenship and Immigration Services to extend your stay in the U.S. Your visa must not have expired, you must not have any criminal convictions, and you must have entered the country legally. Further, if you are here on a waiver, have a fiancé visa, or have a crew member visa, you are not eligible for an extension. To discuss your immigration matter, speak to a Wakefield immigration attorney today.

How can I visit the U.S. for business purposes?

B-1 Temporary Business Visitor Visas are given to those who wish to visit the U.S. for consulting, negotiating, training, or attending a professional or educational conference. For longer-term immigration, you may be eligible for an H-1B or TN Visa, depending on your home country, or an employment-based visa if you have an extraordinary ability, and advanced degree, are a religious worker, are an investor or entrepreneur, or can prove your ability as a researcher or professor.

Can I gain U.S. citizenship by marrying a U.S. citizen?

This is a common question, made popular by television and movies. Why you can apply for permanent residency based on marriage, there are a number of eligibility requirements that you must meet, including having your fingerprints and photos taken and being personally interviewed to prove the validity of your marriage. Other evidence may be required, and your friends and family may also be called to interview.

You may also apply for a K-1 Non-Immigrant Visa for your fiancé or fiancée. This allows your future spouse to enter the U.S. for 90 days in order to get married. After that time, they may apply for permanent residence.

How can I become a U.S. citizen?

Citizenship and naturalization have a few key requirements. This includes continuous residency in the U.S. for at least three years, if you are married to a U.S. citizen or five years, if you came to the country for work. You must also demonstrate a knowledge of United States history and good moral character. This means you must not have been convicted for certain crimes, have any tax problems, or have been accused of falsely declaring that you are a citizen.

How can I proves that I am an individual of extraordinary ability or talent?

O-1, EB-1A, National Interests Waivers, and visas given to outstanding researchers and professors, are awarded by the United States to those who have proven themselves in their fields. Providing this proof, however, can be difficult. It requires having international recognition, years of experience, letters of recommendation, a record of past accomplishments, membership in professional organizations, evidence of crucial contributions to your field, and/or documentation of your salary. Applying for a visa may also require proof of a job offer or demonstrable confirmation that you will make solid contributions to the U.S. economy or society in the field of your choice.

Take the

First Step in Your Case

Fill out the following form or call (781) 819-0700 to get started on your low-cost initial consultation. We will return your inquiry shortly.

  • Please enter your name.
  • This isn't a valid email address.
  • This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.